Background

Friday, December 16, 2011

Light


During the summertime, I love to lie in the hammock and watch the sunlight play in the leaves of our sugar maples. Dazzling. 
Indeed, I've always found it easy to appreciate light as it dances on waves or kisses flowers or splashes over the Appalachians. 
But Paris taught me to appreciate light in a new context: the manmade world. Obviously, I've seen light on buildings before this semester. But I never really saw it. 
What changed? Well, I spent a lot of time with the Impressionists during my art course. Their obsession with light is contagious, so quickly I became more attentive to that element...in the context of a big city where "nature" does not abound. 
And here is what I found.


 unknown building on Ile de la Cité

Petit Palais

 Notre Dame de Paris



Jardin de Tuileries

These sights took my breath away and taught me that a city can be beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment