Background

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Home Again

Evidently, I have not been the most faithful blogger as of late. What can I say? Experience took precedence over reflection for a while.
But now that I am back in the States, I fully intend to finish documenting my adventures!
First, a few thoughts about my return. I wish I could say that I was ready to leave, that I was deeply yearning for my native land. But alas - I wasn't. While I dearly missed my friends and community back home, I did not feel ready to leave Paris. I still had a mile-long list of museums to visit, quartiers to explore, plays and concerts to see. But even more, I wanted to establish a real life in Paris. As a semester-long study abroad student, I felt like a hybrid between a tourist and a resident. I had just begun dipping my toes into the community (making friends, establishing routines, getting around without a map...) when I left.
That said, I am immensely grateful for the time I did get to spend in Paris. My experiences pushed me to grow in so many ways. It gave me the Large Quantity of Books feeling. You know, that feeling you get when you step into a bookstore or library and realize that
a) there is so, so much to discover
b) one lifetime just isn't enough to discover it all


These two realizations provoke a queer mixture of awe, frustration, and excitement. Welcome to my life in Paris.
Without promoting the frillyfrooha Hollywood image of Paris, I must say that there is something truly special about the city. The definition of that "something" is a little different for everyone. For me, it's all bound up in moments like this...





Albeit short, my time in Paris was rich and beautiful. I know that this experience will remain nestled in my heart just like my time in Nicaragua, the Stapleton internship, etc...
For the next few posts, I've planned a sort of toast to Paris to celebrate a few of the things I loved most about the city. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment