Background

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

La Vie Quotidienne

The other day, an inquisitive e-mail from my grandmother made me realize that I have yet to share the nitty gritty details of my daily life here in Paris. Clearly, I am not always scampering across the countryside. So what happens Monday-Thursday?
I'll start with a description of my home stay with the lively Madame Perrod. Thanks to this cute birthday card hanging on her door, I know her age.


But I doubt that I would have guessed it otherwise. She teaches exercise classes in her living room about six times a week. Once, she let me come. Most her students are older, so it was not super strenuous. Still, I find this pretty impressive.
Madame Perrod's apartment is simple but sweet. Here is my room:




My host mom and I have dinner together five nights a week, and I always look forward to our lively conversations. While I was initially sad not to be placed with a full-fledged family, I now appreciate the challenge/reward of carrying on a one-on-one conversation in French for an hour at dinner.
I shall never forget the day I learned that the French last used the guillotine in 1977. Since I had always associated the guillotine with la Révolution and la Terreur, I found this quite surprising. When I mentioned my discovery to Mme Perrod, however, she stiffened and reminded me that (unlike France) the US still administers the death penalty...touché. Mme Perrod is definitely a bit feisty (in a fun way) and also a prankster, as I discovered getting into bed one night...


Now, for my average day...
After breakfasting on a piece of Mme Perrod’s delicious homemade bread and jam, I scurry off to school. Depending on when/how I wake up, I either walk or take the metro. Obviously, I prefer the brisk half hour walk, which gives me the chance to say bonjour to la Tour Eiffel.


And la Bastille.


Before admiring the architectural harmony of more recent additions to the cityscape.


Then come classes, with a break for lunch. For the first month, I picnicked nearly every day in the sunny Luxembourg gardens by my school. Heavenly experience, but unless I learn to resist the cold weather, I may be fleeing indoors soon…
After classes, I like to go on some sort of jaunt. Again, the warm weather of September usually tempted me out to the parks of Paris. As it gets cooler, I am more inclined to set of for a walk armed with one of the many guidebooks Mom gave me. I discover something new about Paris every time.
After dinner, I usually head out to choir practice or a play or just a soirée with friends. If I’m lucky, I return on the hour, which means I get to see La Tour Eiffel a-sparkling on my walk back from the metro. 
Hopefully, that gives you a taste of ma vie quotidienne here in Paris!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you are posting about your experience in Paris... I heard it through the "cousin" grapevine that you were and am glad I found my way here.

    ReplyDelete