Background

Monday, October 3, 2011

Katie and the Chocolate Factory


When I’m walking down the street, I love to peer into the windows of boulangeries, pâtisseries, and chocolateries. The carefully sculpted raspberry tarts and chocolate truffles look like teensy sculptures in a museum of culinary arts.
The other morning, I got the chance to tour the pâtisserie and chocolaterie of Gerard Mulot. It was such a treat to see how the French make their beautiful confections.
When we entered the store, we immediately got a preview of the wonders to come. I wouldn’t mind taking one of these home (were it not for the price tags, upwards of 50 euros - eek!)




Before entering the kitchens, we donned some super stylish robes. Paris is known for its high fashion, n’est-ce pas?



This delightful man then showed us how to make macarons. He’s been doing this for over 30 years!





This nifty machine may go on my Christmas wish list...



Caramel macarons - yum!


Then it was time to learn about chocolate! The chocolatier who gave us the tour was just voted the best Young Chocolatier in France. I love how passionate he is about chocolate. His phone is full of pictures of his creations - chocolate Hello Kittys, chocolate squirrels, chocolate everything!


Molds for truffel-making.


Maybe not quite as impressive as Willy Wonka's chocolate waterfall. But still pretty cool.



After all that, I simply had to buy this delicious raspberry concoction.


Yummmm!


My new culinary goal: macarons!




No comments:

Post a Comment