Background

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Food for the Mind


And now for my classes! I’m taking four and auditing one – who could resist Impressionism? All of my courses are in French and super tiny (about 3-5 students each). An absolute luxury when you have professors from the Sorbonne!
Here’s the spread:
1.  French Grammar: Sounds dry, but I actually find grammar almost juicy when I know I’ll be using it in everyday conversations.
2.  France and the European Union: Politics has never been my strong suit, but I am loving this course. Already, our talented professor has skillfully led us through France’s 5 major newspapers, 6 major political parties…and the boggling question, “What is Europe?”
3.  French Novelists/Autobiographers in the 20th Century: Literature!! Such a treat. Proust in French is so worth the trouble.
4.  Architecture of Paris: Amazing!! Half the courses meet in the classroom, the other half on the town. What a wonderful way to become acquainted with Paris!  And our professor does a wonderful job of illuminating the bonds between form, function, and meaning.
5.  Impressionism: Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the closest I’ve ever come to artistic analysis is a half-sighed, “Oh, this one’s pretty…” It’s so exciting to learn how to look at art the way I look at literature. Like the Architecture course, Impressionism is split between the classroom and museums. Last week, we visited the Louvre. What a treat to stand right in front of the paintings as we discussed them!

And what better way to celebrate my first round of classes than a fresh raspberry tart in the rose garden by my apartment?



No comments:

Post a Comment