Background

Monday, September 12, 2011

Let's Start with the Caen-Caen


'Twas a hot and sunny afternoon when I embarked on my voyage for Paris, accompanied by a slightly ridiculous entourage of suitcases.


After a brief dip into the twilight zone of international travelling, I met up with four of the other girls on my program, our director, and our tour guide. The seven of us hopped on our charter bus (yes, we had a charter bus) and headed off to Normandy.
We stayed in the lovely little town of Caen for the weekend. Our hotel was right across from a castle where I frequently saw groups of young people lounging on the lawn as they talked, smoked, and drank. I wish that we Americans did more of that (well, the lounging/talking more than the smoking/drinking). We often seemed compelled gather for a purpose, even if it is just a meal or a game. I wonder how many people would show up if I suggested, “Hey, why don’t we sit around on Chambers lawn for six hours on Friday afternoon?” No homework allowed.

Saturday was our medieval day, when we saw the monastery at Mont St. Michel, which was built in the 8th century AD. From a distance, it looked positively mythical.


I wish I could have seen it when it was actually a monastery. From what our guide told us, I think I would have made a dreadful monk (for more than the obvious reasons). For example, the monks could not speak or make eye contact at mealtimes. Need I say more?
My bad behavior would probably have consigned me to this human hamster wheel, used to lift heavy stones. Not much idle chatter doing that job.


Sunday, we visited a museum dedicated to World War II. The well-made collage of photos, videos, and text induced such varied emotions that I hardly knew what to do. I felt horror and anger, disgust and awe, shock and…well, you get the idea.
After the museum, we visited Omaha Beach and the American cemetery. 



I remember studying D-Day in history class, but seeing the actual beach roused a great deal of awe in me. How would I have brought myself to run forward towards the Germans with every fiber in my being screaming, “Run away! Run away!”? 

Here is a windy photo of our little group at Pointe du Hoc, the cliff that the U.S. rangers scaled on D-Day.


Left to right: Leilani, Anna, Me, Carlee, and Nicole

So there you are! We saw many other things, but those are the highlights. Stay tuned for info on my host family and Parisian outings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment