Background

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Other Versailles

On our last day of orientation, we visited Versailles. The palace glittered and sparkled as brightly as I remembered. 

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/chateau

 I like shiny things as much as anyone, but hearing about court life made me cringe. The whole place revolved like the galaxy around Louis XIV, whom I do not hold in particularly high regard. How would I like to watch him wake up and eat his porridge every morning? Not much. Not even for a room like this.

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/chateau

My real adventures began after our tour of the Ordinary Versailles. When the rest of my group returned to Paris, I stayed on for a few more hours to explore the Other Versailles. The one with enticing little lanes like this. 


That lead to emerald cathedrals like this.


And after some meandering...


When I saw this, I half-expected Belle to come singing, “Bonjour." (She didn't...but maybe I did.) I soon found that I had stumbled into Marie Antoinette's little estate. I quickly decided that if I were a courtesan, I would request this housing.


And meander down these hallways.


And slip away to this tower.


And maybe visit the Ordinary Versailles for a ball or two.
But truly, my day at Versailles reminded me that whenever I'm in nature, my spirit seems to wake up, shake out its wings, and come 100% alive.





No comments:

Post a Comment